What you get. Every time.
I’m the first student to arrive for an afternoon class at the chiropractic college I attended in England. Something was stirring in me and I was, shall I say, agitated. Oh, here’s the preamble that leads to this event above.
I had become a chiropractic student because of an event that I experienced suddenly, unexpectedly, at a Calgary chiropractic clinic one morning in 1977, about ten years before.
(A year before that, in 1976, I had watched a TV show about chiropractic and had a vague understanding that it had a unique belief that by using its techniques, a person’s health and wellness could be restored).
Back to my first chiropractic treatment in 1977, the classroom and then to you.
For some reason, I’m excited about attending this first chiropractic session and I distinctly remember meeting Dr Bob Smith. Unlike any other physician I have met in my 21 years, he looked happy and well. I can still see his smiling face. (I see that smile on my colleague, Dr. Olson ). What comes next is the point.
Now I don’t remember much about the treatment, it involved treating my neck, but what I do know is how well I feel afterwards. I just feel right in myself. Whole, centered and with a new energy that I hadn’t ever experienced. The pain went. Sure. But something else within me was different. I was left with knowing something fundamental had occurred within from the chiropractic adjustment. A wellness.
Back to the classroom. My prof, Dr. A.L. Logan walked in. He looked at me and knew something wasn’t right. Out I blurted, ‘Where’s the health in this education?’
One thing about higher education institutional instruction is that it keeps to a rigid regime. Dr. Logan, a Californian and as I learned later through his treatment of me, was a true health physician, a REAL Doctor of Chiropractic. I remember him smiling and listening to my built-up frustration after four years of university and by then, two of the four years of chiropractic basic instruction. I believe he understood where I was and what I was yearning for.
Dr. Logan said one word.
Simply put, it is how the central nervous system responds to the removal of a spinal joint subluxation by a skillful chiropractic adjustment. It's what you get, every time when we adjust that joint or joints that have become so locked that they have created the symptoms that brought you to us. There is no pill, no surgery, no stretch that has such a powerful effect on the central nervous system as a chiropractic adjustment. Once corrected, your body via an unobstructed central nervous system, moves toward health.
And you thought you consulted us to just get out of pain.
Do you know that chiropractors have the highest job satisfaction of any of the health care professions? We take great pleasure in working with you to get over your painful condition. What an honour to be asked to help you! And, we know that we are doing more than that alone. We are improving your health. That’s also what is behind our smiles.
Here’s how we see it:
A properly functioning nervous system is essential for overall health and well-being, and chiropractic treatment aims to optimize its function. Here are some benefits that can be associated with a properly functioning nervous system resulting from chiropractic treatment:
- Improved communication: The nervous system is responsible for transmitting signals between the brain and the rest of the body. When the spine is properly aligned through chiropractic adjustments, it can enhance the flow of nerve impulses, improving communication and coordination throughout the body.
- Pain reduction: Misalignments in the spine can put pressure on nerves, leading to pain and discomfort. Chiropractic adjustments aim to alleviate this pressure, potentially reducing pain. By helping to address the underlying cause of pain, chiropractic treatment may provide long-term relief for conditions such as back pain, neck pain, and headaches.
- Enhanced function and performance: A properly functioning nervous system can optimize the function of various bodily systems, including the musculoskeletal, circulatory, respiratory, and digestive systems. By improving nerve function, chiropractic treatment may enhance overall body function, leading to improved physical performance and everyday activities.
- Stress reduction: Misalignments in the spine can cause physical and neurological stress. Chiropractic adjustments aim to restore balance and alleviate stress on the nervous system. This may help reduce tension, promote relaxation, and enhance overall well-being.
- Better posture and balance: Proper spinal alignment can improve posture and balance. Chiropractic treatment can help realign the spine, potentially correcting postural imbalances and reducing the risk of falls and injuries.
- Support for overall health: A properly functioning nervous system is closely tied to overall health and well-being. By optimizing nerve function, chiropractic treatment may help support the immune system, improve sleep quality, boost energy levels, and promote an overall sense of wellness.
It's important to remember that individual experiences and results may vary. Consulting with a qualified chiropractor can help determine if chiropractic treatment is appropriate for your specific needs and goals.
~ Dr. Chris Walker ~